To Define a Focus

Living in the city of London, it is difficult not to be inspired. Though I technically don’t live in the city itself – a twenty-five minute train ride south – I never fail to find something to write about when I venture out of my front door.

But what to choose?

What to focus on?

Should I speculate the meaning of life; or write about the little girl sitting opposite me on the train drawing a house with her new colour-changing pen and making everyone in the carriage smile with her running commentary? The choice is so vast, so diverse.

The news brings us so much negative information; an alien watching BBC News 24 would think this planet is full of destruction, death and disease. But if you look, really look, you can see the joy and beauty in anything. Go past the cynicism and criticism that comes so easily to humans and see the world in a positive light. I dare you.

One thing that I love to do the most is eat. Not just any food, but good food. I relish an opportunity to try new things, new tastes. When I go on holiday, it’s mostly for the food. The one thing I could not do at university was eat the same boring meal day in, day out. I had to add something new to each dish, try it a different way. Whether it was honey in a stir fry or orange in spaghetti bolognese (not all combinations were successful), I would do it to keep from eating the same monotonous ‘beans on toast’, ‘pasta and pesto’.

Having recently moved to our great capital (all-be-it on a recently-finished-university budget) I have been spoilt for choice when it comes to eateries: I am in heaven.

So there we have it: the topic for my new blog – POSITIVE restaurant/café/bar reviews. I will not review a restaurant I have not liked or enjoyed to avoid the temptation of inevitable negativity. My reviews will be honest and positive.

Bon appetit!

Sunday 21 October 2012

La Tasca




Let me get my favourite green pen and give La Tasca three big ticks; food, service, atmosphere. This charming tapas restaurant can be found in over forty-two locations worldwide. Though that information took me by surprise when I checked out their website; the branch we visited did not feel like part of a chain. I can only really comment on the Kingston restaurant as it is the only one I have been to…twice.






Sitting on the bank of the river Thames, you can dine on a decking outside sheltered from the elements by huge umbrellas, or inside observing the beautiful view through a glass wall without the inconvenient British weather. The décor gives a warm and authentic feel to the restaurant, though there are quite a few Van Gogh paintings; pretty sure he’s Dutch…

The friendly waiting staff will show you to whichever table you like; they didn't even pull a face when we asked to switch tables during the meal (it was getting a bit nippy outside). Get yourself a hearty jug of sangria, fruity and refreshing; making wine taste how it should – enjoyable.

Now onto the most important bit: the food. Bread and oils to start is a must; balsamic vinegar was undoubtedly made to go with bread. I'm not a massive tapas expert, having only been to one other tapas restaurant (1725 in Lancaster, well worth a visit if you’re in that area), but I have been to Spain a few times and the food at La Tasca is some of the best Spanish food I’ve ever had. The barbeque pork ribs are fantastically succulent and the meat literally falls from the bone. The calamares (calamari or deep fried squid) are the most tender I have event encountered – quite a feat for something so notoriously chewy. My favourite dish from the menu has to be the croquetas de manchego. Breaded balls of spinach and manchego cheese – a Spanish cheese made from goats’ milk – that when cut into, oozes molten cheese and tastiness. My partner loves the salsa chicken wings but they’re a bit spicy for my taste (yes, he made me add this part). I realise that I have just reeled off a list of food, but they MUST be tried. This I cannot stress enough.


While not entirely cheap and cheerful, La Tasca is not extortionate either. Tapas dishes hover around the £5 mark; usually three to four is enough for one person. My partner and I managed to get a pitcher of sangria, bread and oils for starter, and six tapas dishes for just over £43. Not too bad. Of course, they serve paella – something I have not had from a restaurant in England – and interestingly, breakfast. Though I am not sure Spain is where I would go for a ‘full English’!

All in all, La Tasca is a necessary destination for food lovers. With cheesy alliterations in full swing; fantastic food, delicious drinks and an awesome atmosphere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment